I’ve known John Zimmer for a long time and admired his blogging and his TED speaking skills from afar. He’s a co-founder at Presentation Guru and I’ve got to know him even better in the last year, and I still like him! So I know he’s been working away on an app to help people learn about the practical skills of public speaking for years. When he first told me about it I was less than inspired. ‘Who needs a game to learn public speaking?’ I thought. And I ignored it. But last week, after years of effort, he showed me the app, and I played the game. It’s really good. So, once again:
Who needs an app to help people learn about the practical skills of public speaking?
- Teachers: because it’s fun and competitive and engaging and kids as young as 10 and as old as 80 will love it.
- Trainers: because it’s easy to fit to your method and theory and build the game around your course content or the course content around the game.
- Parents: because it’s another game for rainy days and Sundays that will educate and entertain the whole family.
- Teams at work: who want a short icebreaker of 30-90 minutes to provide a break during a longer team meeting.
- Team Leaders who want to build the skills of their whole team.
It’s brilliant, engaging, stylish, clever and great value at only $4.00, £2.99, or €4.00 Buy it here.
Here’s John Zimmer Himself on the story of how it all came to be.
My friend and business partner, Florian Mueck and I are thrilled to announce the launch of the app for Rhetoric – The Public Speaking Game™. It has been an incredible journey. A few years ago, we looked for board games specifically designed for public speaking but could not find any. Because public speaking is such an important skill, we thought, why not create something that helps people improve and makes the experience an enjoyable one? And so RHETORIC, the world’s first public speaking board game, was born.
The first edition, released in 2011, was a big success, selling out completely to people around the world. The second, limited edition was released in 2015 and it has been just as popular. RHETORIC is now played on all continents and is used by business people, high school teachers, university professors, trainers, Agile learning coaches and people who want to have a unique experience with friends and family.
Today, we have brought RHETORIC to the digital world. Our app represents the next step in the evolution of the game. It is the culmination of countless hours of work and an unquantifiable amount of passion. To create the app, we worked with the amazing people at Blowing Minds, a terrific indie game studio in Barcelona.
Going digital has allowed us to add some fantastic features to the game. The two most significant are:
- RHETORIC can now be played in different languages! The launch version of the app comes with five languages loaded: English, Spanish, French, German and Catalan. More languages will be added to future versions. (If you would like to see RHETORIC in a particular language and would like to help translate it, please let us know.)
- We plan to create additional packs of game cards that will be added to the app. Each new pack will have a special theme (e.g. business, family, travel, etc.). Stay tuned for more details!
RHETORIC is available here in Apple’s App Store* and here on Google Play. It looks great on tablets and smartphones. If you like what you see, we would be so grateful if you would rate the app and leave a comment. It helps spread the word and build the community.