In my last article I wrote about the decision to ditch PowerPoint and use Prezi for a big event or presentation. Lots of people are thinking of doing it as they see the tool in action, or get asked to use it by their clients. To make sure that it all goes well, and that you avoid all of Prezi’s pitfalls, here are 5 things, learned from the 5 years of experience we have here of using the tool at the sharpest of edges, that you absolutely must do to make sure that it pays off for you. I’ll do more detail if you like later, but for now –
- Get the story straight – what is your point and how will you reason to it? Pretty pictures without a reasoned argument is a waste of life.
- Create a brilliant, reinforcing big picture for your ‘big idea’. That’s what Prezi can do really well over everything else.
- Use the visuals for emphasis and speak the story. Few of the great speeches of the world would have been improved by any kind of visual aid.
- Zoom in for detail and emphasis, and out for context. It can help you make your best points with a bit of ‘gasp-inducing’ drama. And finally
- FFS – don’t ever spin – it’s soooo last year.