In May 2009, Omniture asked 120 US-based Marketing Managers to rate the relative effectiveness of their digital-marketing media. The vast majority (78 percent) gave top marks to email marketing, but a sizable minority (33 percent) reported success in emerging social-media channels, too. With this in mind, here are a few simple ways to enhance the results of your email and online marketing.
- Add social-networking options (Linked in, Twitter etc) to your registration page where your subscribers sign up for email newsletters and offers.
- Use the sidebar on your email-marketing newsletter to list all company social-networking profiles, and use social-networking profiles to gather newsletter sign-ups.
- Announce new LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter feeds in your email newsletters, and invite subscribers to join in.
- Launch a regular Q&A section in your company’s email newsletter that specifically addresses reader questions across all social-networking platforms.
- Link to your help forum or YouTube video tutorials when you send emails.
- Use the topics discussed by people on social networks sites as free market research and develop content for offers, newsletters and blogs that reflects the ‘Twittering’ that you see .
If all of this makes you feel old then best dig yourself a big hole in the back garden and go and lie down in it. A large meteorite hit us 2 years ago and the climate is changing for ever… Go on, give it a go and you’ll be stunned at how simple it all is, once you’ve got past the jargon.